‘Preventing Falls in the Elderly’ a talk was organised for the Senior Citizens of Veteran Citizens Forum at Pawar Nagar, Thane on 20th March, 2012. Two physiotherapists, Dr. Anuja Luniya and Dr. Priya Karthik made a power point presentation on the causes of falls in older adults, and the assessment, rehabilitative, and health promotion measures which can be taken to reduce the risk of falls in this age group. More than 100 senior citizens attended this event and were highly motivated to participate in the interactive session.
Everyone grows old because ageing in unstoppable. The older adults above 65 generally run the risk of falling in bathrooms or their bed rooms. However, you can prevent falls by following some simple precautions.
- Do not keep your living room and bedrooms cluttered which reduces free space for movement and precipitates chances of falling.
- Use low beds.
- A night lamp in the bedroom is essential.
- Telephone should be easily reachable and a telephone index containing emergency numbers like, police, ambulance, neighbors etc. should be kept handy.
- The space leading to the bathroom should be free from any obstacles.
- Wear heal supported shoes/chappals.
- In the kitchen tea and sugar containers should be kept at shoulder level to have easy accessibility.
- There shouldn’t be any obstacles on the stairs and staircase should be well lighted.
- Do not get up from the bed upright.
Dr. Anuja also advised the elders on the choice of walking cane and correct methods of getting up from the chair, and waking up from the bed. Non-usage of any limb leads to atrophy. In order to keep a sharp memory in old age, one should engage in solving crosswords, playing chess and reading. “Exercise is the single pill to slow down ageing”, said Dr.Priya.
Dr. Anuja also announced the introduction of a senior citizens preventive physiotherapy club – “Stepping on” in some of the locations in Thane. This club would analyze the problem of elders and teach them tailor made exercises for strength and endurance.
The club will offer training on self management of pain, nutrition counseling, yoga, meditation and relaxation techniques. It will also organize group games, laughter session, movies, picnics, etc. to rejuvenate the life of elders.